To Health. Part 1: Vigorous Exercise

Yael wrote, asking for details of my health habits.  I made the assumption that others may be interested too, and I am responding here, and possibly some following, posts.

Exercise, is first on my "To Health" list, not because it is easy (although I do enjoy it), but because it is so effective.  Several studies have shown that exercise mitigates the damage of many lifestyle errors.  People who smoke, or are overweight, or ... pick-your-sin, AND exercise, are at the same risk for disease and death, as the rest of the population.  Exercise achieves this by reducing inflammation, reducing insulin resistance, slowing down several markers of aging, and rejuvenating muscles.  As an extra benefit, it also makes you look good.   

However, an occasional stroll around the park will not do.  To achieve these benefits, we have to stress our muscles to the point in which their energy stores are fully depleted.  To get there, we can choose between two, equally effective, exercise modalities.  The first, usually known as Aerobic Exercise, entails a moderate level of intensity, extended over four to five hours a week.  The second is High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), which depending on our choices, could last less than an hour a week.  I chose the latter because I don't mind the pain (yes there is), and I can use the extra time.  A good reference for this method and the science behind it, can be found in The One Minute Workout, by Dr. Martin Gibala.

I aim to train five times a week, alternating between three exercise modalities, all three following HIIT principles.
  1. Resistance training (Once or twice a week).  I consider RT as my primary exercise.  The HIIT version is described in Body by Science , by Doug McGuff M.D.   He claims that one, fifteen-minute, session per week, is all you need to be fit and healthy.  Adi, after a short adjustment period, now loves the challenge, and is proud of her improving body shape.
  2. Other (Once or twice a week).  I do a variety of exercises.  Stationary bike, burpees, situps etc.  These supplement RT, just in case McGuff is not totally correct.  BTW, a Tabata routine takes four! minutes.
  3. Swimming (Once to three times a week).  A few years ago, due to deteriorating knees, I substituted running with swimming.  Now, I eliminated the endurance sessions and incorporated HIIT.  I continue to swim because I am challenged to improve my technique, and I love open-water swims.
This plan could result in overtraining, but when I feel tired, I take an extra rest day.

Final observation.  A HIIT session can produce anxiety and discomfort, especially in a beginner, but it lasts only a short time, and delivers a lot of satisfaction.

Labriut


1 comment:

  1. A very good summary and definitely worth a try. I would like to add that I feel that the intangible benefit of doing (and eating for that matter) things you enjoy is also a major factor to overall health.

    ReplyDelete