Hummustenango


An Israeli flag on a Guatemalan road, should have given me a hint of things to come. It didn't. I was just proud to learn that Solel Bo'ne is responsible for this excellent segment of the Trans-America Highway. We left the highway on winding road leading down to Lake Atitlan. Several famous travelers declared it to be the prettiest lake in the world. I have a few more lakes to visit before I can confirm their proclamation, but looking at the lake from above, I could easily accept it.

When we arrived at San Pedro La Laguna, I was surprised to find a Guatemalan town that could fit well on the Mekong. The sidewalks were lined with hand-written signs in Hebrew, and aromatic bars provided pillows and large-screen TVs. We followed a group of young Israelis into a shorefront restaurant called Hummus-Ya. We chose a table over the water, and admired the blue lake surrounded by high volcanoes. Hummus-Ya would become our favorite spot during our stay on Lake Atitlan. Maria, the Israeli owner/chef is married to the young French bartender, and employs an Italian cook. She plays only Reggae music and occasionally reads Tarrot cards. After a couple of days, I dared to ask her about the Tahini, which I could not obtain in Mexico. I was impressed to learn that she produces her own Tahini by grinding sesame seeds in a corn grinding station. Her falafel was excellent. Adi noted that my version of Hummus has a bit more lemon. After four days of Hummus and falafel, Adi renamed the place Hummustenango.

1 comment: