Tomorrow

At any gathering of expats, the conversation will eventually turn to annoying generalizations of Mexico and Mexicans.  Recently, I realized that these conversations are not just a way to feel superior, but may provide a way to accept and cope with reality.  This blog is my attempt at acceptance, and it may be just as annoying.

It is one thing to speak a language, it takes deeper knowledge to understand it.  For example, what does the sentence "I will do it tomorrow.",  mean, when spoken in Spanish?  Many times I experienced that a promise does not turn into action, and if it does, it is usually late.  In either case, no apologies are offered or even implied.  This sentence should therefore be taken as, "I understand that you would like me to do it soon."

Two general characteristics (sorry) may explain the gap in translation.  First, Mexicans do not like to disappoint.  I rarely have been refused here.  The second cause may be a difference in attitude towards time.  D.H. Lawrence, who lived a few months in Oaxaca, and wrote stories about it in his book "Mornings in Mexico", claims that until the arrival of the white man, the local Indians had no concept of time.

One insight led to another.  Whenever I committed myself to do something here, I was repeatedly questioned about it.
'Quit bugging me!'  I would think, while affirming my commitment.
Now  I understand that the repetition is the accepted way of telling me, "Your action is very important.  I hope you do it."

Another example.  After asking for directions, you hear, "It's close.  Go down this street, then turn left.".   What does this sentence mean?  First, ignore the word "close".  Everything is close.  Second, it could mean exactly what it says, or it could mean, "I don't really know."  The ambivalence is due, again, to the inability to disappoint.  "You expect directions, and I am doing my best to please you...."

To resolve the ambiguity, watch the responder carefully before he begins to reply.  If you notice any hesitation, thank him politely, but ignore the answer.  It is crucial not to miss that initial instant of uncertainty, because after verbalization begins, all answers will flow with the same confidence, whether correct or not.


Que le vaya bien.

1 comment:

  1. Nice tip - I wont' be asking for direction while at Cancun. Do they still sell the culture smart/shcok series for Mexico?

    Expats love to complain about the country they're in, it seems to be universal

    ReplyDelete