Bearded Brutes

Carved in stone, on the gates of the first house in Merida, are the bearded figures of  Francisco Montejo, and Francisco Montejo (The son), the city founders.  They stand proud, holding a sword, their feet firmly planted on the heads of suffering prisoners.  In the Palacio de Gobierno, large dramatic murals depict bearded Spanish Conquistadors, spearing, burning, quartering, and in many other ways, torturing, the vanquished Mayan people.  When a local Mayan told me that the locals hate the original Spanish (from Spain) accent (Sh instead of S),  I realized that the resentment is still strong, just lying beneath the surface.  I did not want to associate myself with the oppressors, and since I cannot change my race, I decided that the least I could do to be on the side of Good, is remove my beard
Good Man
Bad Man














The truth is that I had to shave the beard in order to Scuba-dive next week, and there was nothing better to do on a rainy day in Merida.

2 comments:

  1. The before looks wise. The after looks innocent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good excuse as any to shave off the beard - Mexicans don't like facial hair? It's been 500 years already

    ReplyDelete