Instant hero

'What will I do if my pockets were picked?'

I pondered this question reading Rick Steves' guide to Madrid, where almost every page contains a warning about pickpockets.  The locals too, made sure to warn us about thieves and muggers.  I take precautions by placing my thin wallet in a semi-hidden zippered pocket, and then feel safe by dismissing the warnings with 'I am not an easy target!'

Boarding a bus in front of the Prado, one foot already on the step, I felt a rustle around the map pocket of my cargo pants.  I turned around to surprise the young man beside me.  Neither one of us expected what came next.  I landed a punch on his nose.  My sub-second hesitation while verifying that he is not too big, may have saved his nose from being broken, yet it was a solid hit.

"I did not steal!" he pleaded.

However, this factually true statement was rejected by the others in line.  I boarded the bus, which moved on, leaving a stunned man alone in the station.  The passengers who witnessed the event, congratulated me on my aim, "You hit his face.  Good!".  Adi was pleased and I, despite years of meditation practice, was rather proud of myself.

I can't even remember the last time I hit anyone.  It took the rest of the bus ride for my adrenalin level to come down.  I became very hungry.  An all-you-can-eat salad bar hit the spot.  I was ready for the next thief.

3 comments:

  1. I guess you were right about not being an easy target. Very impressive. I wish I could have seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expected nothing else from an ex paratrooper! It happened to me in Rome! a few yeqars ago. But she was a BIG young lady... I felt the same rush.... Enjoy the rest of the trip!

    ReplyDelete