Hero Vs Bandits 2:1

Round 1:  Hero
Hero wins the first round by landing a jab to the head.  Detailed description of the round can be found in my blog 'Instant Hero'.  http://isaacohel.blogspot.com/2011/05/instant-hero.html

Round 2:  Bandits
Hero enters the ring (Plaza Catalunia in Barcelona) slightly dazed from an early morning flight and a bus ride to town.  The Hero team stops moving for only a few short moments to consult their coach (Rick Steves).  Not finding good advice (for a lunch spot), they descend to the metro station.  In the train, I noticed that Adi's backpack is open.   Unfortunately, Adi packed all her important skin-care items into a pouch, and put it in the front pocket of her backpack.  That pocket was open, and the pouch was gone.  Adi was devastated.   She cried, she cursed, she called herself all sort of names (some of which I agreed with).  With all the pain, and all the shame, we had to admit that the Bandits won this round by a knockout.

The next day, we replaced most of the "irreplaceable" Korean products in 'El Corte Ingles', Spain's incredible department store.  However, for days afterward, Adi would remember yet another beloved possession that has gone with the pouch.

Round 3:  Hero
The arena (metro station) is packed with spectators.  The Bandits are waiting. Hero, wearing a day-pack, tries to board the crowded subway car.  His way is blocked by a fat young woman reading the route map which is posted over the door.  He senses other passengers crowding behind him.  He move right to sidestep the girl; she moves right.  He moves left; she moves left.  By that time, I realized that this is a set up for one of pickpocket's oldest tricks.  I roughly shoved the fat girl out of my way, and climbed inside.  The girl, followed by her teammates, calmly walked out of the closing door.  The other passengers just shook their head in resignation.  Win by points.


  • Rick Steves saves his most emphatic warning about pickpockets, to Barcelona.
  • A backpack to a thief is like red cape to a bull.
  • Barcelona residents hold their bag, or purse, next to their body, with both arms.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!
    I don't know if Spain is so dangerous, or that you two attract the thieves, by assuming that you are an easy target. In any case, I hope you do not lose a round by a knockout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. time to leave Spain, but I don't if other cities are any better

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kobi
    You are right. Tourists, especially tourists with backpacks, are easy targets. However, listening to the locals' horror stories, and more importantly, watching the extreme, almost paranoid, care with which they guard their belongings, tells me that the problem is widespread. So far in our travel, this is the worst country.
    And, I stand corrected. Round 2 was only a 'Down'. A knockout would be loss of a passport or bodily injury.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in Madrid 5 gypsies surrounded me and gave me a rose. Then they begged for a dollar. I refused knowing that the second I took out my wallet it would be gone. Instead, I threw the rose on the floor and got away. Be careful in Italy, you will encounter different annoyances there, mostly old men groping Adi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaclyn
    The Spanish gypsies have a safer way of robbing you. They hand you a spring of Rosemary. You take the sprig, they offer to read your fortune. Once done("Everything is going to be great"), they ask for a donation. You hand them a coin. Unfortunately, accepting a coin is very bad luck. They will not accept it, and will not leave you alone until you give them a bill. The smallest bill is 5 Euro. It didn't happen to me, but I watched it several time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was 16 I spent a week in Paris by myself. In the subway a group of teenagers asked me for a smoke. When I got closer, they tried to grab my wallet. I punched one, and pushed the others, then just backed away. They didn't pursue. At the time I didn't realize that I was the victim, I thought it was the other way around.

    ReplyDelete