Amour, directed by Michael Haneke


Amour (2012)The movie "Amour" was recently presented as part of the Oaxaca International Film Festival.  In the movie, Anne and George are aging gracefully together.  We can observe the quiet love and respect they share.  Suddenly, Anne suffers a stroke.  Her condition continuously deteriorates until she can not take care of herself, nor communicate with her family.  George tends to all of his invalid wife's needs.  He does so with love and tenderness.  Only rarely does he display resentment towards this hard and thankless job.  Anne cannot express herself, yet we can share her suffering.  Although she has some brief quasi-lucid moments, at other times it is clear that she would rather end her life.  Eventually, George complies by smothering her under a pillow.   The story is sad, yet it is told in a factual and non-emotional manner.  I was impressed by the way the couple, and eventually George alone, face their situation with calm acceptance, without resorting to self pity, and without soliciting the pity of others.  The acting is excellent, and Haneke, in his usual dark style, displays meticulous mastery of the movie-making art.


The movie prompted me to review my attitudes towards life.  I realized that I am not afraid of death, nor do I crave a long life.  I exercise daily and eat well in order to stay active far into old age, hoping that when the inevitable decline arrives, it will be short and steep.  If that declining path is lined with extreme discomfort,  I believe I can make a calm choice whether to follow it to its natural end, or not.  Most important, I think that Dignity is a higher value than Life.  Dignity, to me, is being aware, being able to communicate this awareness, and having some control over my environment.  I should take steps now, that would help my loved ones, if these criteria are not met, to make the same hard decision as George.

3 comments:

  1. very interesting post on the twilight of life - you should see Mexico has a version of a living will or advance health care directive

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see it as "complies by smothering her under a pillow". I saw it as "I've had enough of this, so I'll smother you with a pillow". But I also did not think this was a good movie. One of my criteria for a "good" movie is that it is thought provoking during, but mostly after. I never thought much about it (the movie) until I read your post just now. The acting however was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this movie is effective only after a certain age. According to your criterion, at least for me the movie was good.

      P.S. If you really want to think after a movie, watch Cache (Hidden). also directed by Haneke

      Delete