Hans


My dear friend Hans, has gone.  

Hans was a free spirit, an adventurer.  He was my role model.  He did not set out to be an example, he just did his best, and he did it well.  He was a good athlete, a good sailor, a good musician, and a good aviator.  I followed his footsteps in several of these endeavours, but never managed to catch up.  I was not jealous, I viewed him as an older brother. Over the years, we shared many adventures, and he loved to chide me for the dangers my recklessness has put him through, yet that did not deter him from embarking on our next adventure.   However, sometimes it felt like he was the younger, impetuous sibling.  He took chances that would make me cringe, and always came out ok.

Most people are either afraid of death, or try to ignore it.  Hans did not philosophize, but his actions demonstrated his feelings.  Fear was not in his vocabulary, nor did he ignore death.  He challenged, and often mocked it.  Rather than contemplate potential disasters, he focused on extracting fun from life.  Not always was it easy, but he managed to do so, and always with a smile.  Hans remained my role model till the end.  His smile, even on his last day, said, "I am not afraid"

I miss him. 

2 comments:

  1. He was a cool guy with those piercing blue eyes. May his memory always be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After 15 years of amazing adventures with Hans, I miss him too. Interestingly, through them all, I was almost never afraid with him.
    Hans loved people, he assumed every one was good, until proven otherwise.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete