Habits

For anyone seeking improvement in any endeavour, I'd like to recommend the book Atomic Habits, by James Clear.  Its logical reasoning and practical advice, prompted me to change my habits.
The book makes the case that small changes, implemented over a long period, can lead to large transformations, and that habits are the tools to accomplish this task.  The author suggests four rules for forming a habit:
1.  Make it Obvious
2.  Make it Attractive
3.  Make it Easy
4.  Make it Satisfying
The list almost seems trivial, but each rule is followed by research and anecdotes.  Those help clarify the rule, and provide guidance on how to implement it.

After completing this portion of the book, I was enthused, and started using the method.  However, I faced a dilemma.  For years, I have tried to practice the Buddhist concept of  Mindfulness'.  Now, it occured to me that mindfulness and habit are exact opposites.  I wondered whether I have to choose  between the two.  The 'advanced' portion of the book dispelled my concern.  It clarified, that the application of the two concepts are separated by space and time.  Some activities may not be worth the effort of mindfulness (1), and can be safely done as a habit.   In other, more important activities, after a habit forms, it serves as a stepping stone, freeing mental resources for mindful improvements.

I decided to focus on a small number of habits that I would like to promote: Meditation, Music, and Muscle.  Over the last two weeks, I have been consistently meditating morning AND evening, practicing my sax daily, and exercising regularly.

Note :
1.  Buddhists are often instructed to be mindful of trivial activities, such as chewing.  In my unlearned opinion, this is only a training tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment