Goodbye Friend

We were friends for eighteen years.  Our friendship started as you accompanied me to remote California mountains on motorcycle expeditions. You patiently waited while I worked in far away countries, and then gladly rejoined me and Adi on many adventures .  You put yourself at risk to protect us from an attacking animal, and suffered greatly for this sacrifice.   With time, we started treating you like a family member.  You were hurt, you were robbed, but rain, hail, or shine, you did your duty.  Your peak glory was a cross-continent tour to Panama and back, where you garnered admiration for your endurance and perseverance.  Inevitably, time moves on.  You did not change, but my capabilities weakened.  With age, I need a younger, stronger friend to support me.  The time has come to say "Goodbye".

Nemo, my friend, I hope you have a happy life in the hilly pastures of El Dorado, California.

3 comments: